- The IASGO training program aims to impart training on common Upper GI, lower GI and other pelvic procedures, both by open surgery and by minimally invasive methods, including newer modalities and future perspectives. The course also covers the principles of management of morbid obesity.
- Laparoscopic surgery is now a preferred modality in a vast number of patients. There is rising evidence for superiority of minimally invasive surgery in terms of postoperative morbidity and shorter hospital stay compared to traditional open surgery. At the same time knowledge of the surgeries by the open technique is mandatory, since this forms the basis of any type of surgery and has its specific applications.
- The course provides expert opinions on the esophagus, stomach, spleen, adrenals and abdominal wall surgical pathologies, through a minimally invasive method or by open surgery. The course also covers topics related to colon, rectum, bladder, uterus and ovaries.
- Hepato-biliary and pancreatic procedures: The IASGO training program aims to impart training on hepatobiliary and pancreatic procedures, including newer modalities and future perspectives. All aspects of hepatic, pancreatic and biliary tree surgery are discussed. The trainees will learn advanced management of hepatobiliary cancers through clinical work-up, imaging, planning treatment and postoperative care. Experience in hepatobiliary laparoscopic procedures is also part of the curriculum. A multidisciplinary method for teaching will be used with the involvement of radiologists, oncologists, endoscopists and ultrasonologists. Cases will be presented and reviewed by consultants who are experts in liver and pancreatic surgery. There will be a live operative demonstration on the basic and advanced hepatobiliary procedures by eminent international faculty as well as live operations teleconferenced and shown through DVTS.
- The course stresses more on the technical and operative part of the procedures and includes sessions on endotrainers, animal laboratory and fresh cadaveric dissections as well as live surgeries and hands-on training. There are didactic lectures as well as teaching videos included in the teaching program to make it more comprehensive.
- Challenging and controversial issues in each topic are stressed on and discussed in the lectures. Technical developments are also discussed.
- The learning experience would be more interactive by including debates, quiz, seminar for case discussions and ?you ask, we answer? sessions at the end of lectures.
- At the end of the course there will be an assessment.
- The course is duly certified by the IASGO and the attendees will receive a certification only on satisfactory completion of the course.